I know what you are thinking. Since a Belgian Malinois was used by Navy Seal Team Six on the raid of the Bin Laden compound, it would make a perfect family pet. Just park it in the living room next to your Apache Helicopter!
The work of the Belgian Malinois in Bin Laden’s assassination placed a spotlight on the breed likely to spike the breed’s popularity. Think of it as the 101 Dalmatians effect. Think of Creulla De Ville in Fauve Charbonné (the top-secret Malinois coat color).
The fact is Malinois do not make good pets, as they are strictly working and sporting dogs. If you are NOT already involved with dog sport, you should not get a Malinois.
Who should get a Malinois?:
- Do you dream day and night of improving your performance as a dog trainer?
- Do you have reflexes like a Chimpanzee? Can you take a punch without feeling the need to retaliate?
- Are you calm in the face of embarrassment, danger,and even chaos? Can you remain calm around a very hyper dog?
- Do you want a dog that can’t and won’t be a couch potato? A DOG JUST FOR TRAINING?
- Do you have at least 2-hours per day to devote to training and exercise?
- Do you have access to a Ringsport or Schutzhund club where you can find a mentor?
- Are you versed in positive and negative training modalities?
- Are you willing to put canine performance before your own physical and psychological comfort?
If you answer these questions with a round clear YES, you have what it takes to become a Malinois Handler.